Comprehensive Cancer Consultation
A Comprehensive Cancer Consultation is the beginning point of your Integrative Medicine Plan of Care. The Comprehensive Cancer Consultation allows us to develop a dynamic and flexible picture of the status of your health. This includes a description in Integrative Medicine terms of the causes and effects of cancer and why and how the mind and body have adapted to the stresses of having cancer.
When cancer is present it changes the physical, biochemical, mental and energetic balance of the person. These changes include how the mind and body react, and how the nutritional and energetic systems shift to cope with the increased stress of cancer. These changes are unique to every person – no two people are ever the same, even when they have the same “diagnosis”.
We have to carefully identify and be sensitive to these changes. Each treatment plan is highly individualized. The conventional approach of “fighting” cancer without really understanding and treating the whole person can be pretty much a futile effort.
The information gathered during a Comprehensive Cancer Consultation leads to your personal “Health Profile”. The Health Profile then serves as our primary guide in developing your treatment plan. It tells us where to begin and which treatments, medications and other therapies are likely to be of the greatest benefit at each step along the way.
Keeping up with your changing needs is an important part of your Health Profile. As your mind and body gradually begin to shift from “cancer mode” to “healing mode”, the need for particular medications and therapies also shifts and changes. Through frequent updating of your Health Profile we can keep up with these changing needs when and as they occur. The selection of medications is often very different from what one might expect. This is because everyone’s needs are unique to them. Selection of medications is based on your own documented test results and takes into account the whole person. Choice of medications is not limited to “evidence based medicine” according to the name of the diagnosis.
A Comprehensive Cancer Consultation takes approximately 2 hours. At the conclusion of your consultation you will be given a printed copy of a recommended Integrative Medicine Program of Care based on your particular situation and needs. Most care plans begin with 6 weeks of intensive care, usually with daily treatments in the office 4 or 5 days a week. Your Health Profile is then reviewed and further recommendations are made as indicated.
A Patient Care Advisor (PCA) will be assigned to you when you make your first appointment. Your PCA will be your main contact throughout your care with us. You will have an opportunity to review your Integrative Medicine Program of Care with your Patient Care Advisor.
Your PCA will review your treatment scheduling, arrange for any medical testing that may need to be done, and review the finances of the treatment program with you.
Preparing for your Comprehensive Cancer Consultation
1. Contact the office to schedule your initial appointment. A Patient Care Advisor will be assigned to you at that time.
2. Your PCA will help collect and forward medical records to us for the doctor’s review before your appointment. Bringing medical records with you also works but it may not be as efficient as getting them to us before your appointment.
3. The nature of Integrative Medicine and how we look at and understand cancer is quite different than the conventional. You are welcome to bring someone with you whose insight and opinions you trust to serve as a second set of ears. We often call this person your “Advocate”.
4. Be well hydrated.
5. Avoid chewing gum or candies.
6. Remove magnetic items such as wrist bands or necklaces.
7. Jewelry items that are not magnetic do not need to be removed.
8. Remove cell phones and other electronic devices from your person.
9. Avoid using perfumes, colognes and body oils before your consultation.
10. Wash your hands and arms to the elbows just before starting your consultation. 11. You are welcome to bring a tape or electronic recorder for your consultation.
Medicine of HOPE, PC
Integrative Medical Oncology Charles Schwengel, DO, MD(H) 4550 E. Bell Rd, Suite 284 ï¿¿ Phoenix, AZ 85032 480.668.1448 or toll-free 1.877.668.1448
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe